Friday, May 28, 2010

Exercise log for the last 4 weeks

There's some info missing, and the full 4 weeks doesn't end until tomorrow (that is my rest day though), but here are the numbers from my first 4 weeks of tracking my exercise:

Bicycle: 318.66 Mi - 25h 25m 23s (all while commuting to and from work)
Run/Hike: 24.77 Mi - 6h 41m 11s (about 10 miles hiking, 14.77 running)

Not bad for a fat guy.

Actually, last night while I was running and convincing myself to keep going, it occurred to me that running continuously for 5k (3.1 miles) would have seemed impossible. I knew I could build up to it, but the first time I tried running around the block, I made it 1 block. Not once around the block, but one length of one side of the block, before I had to take a walking break. Then there were weeks of only being able to run to the corner and back before needing a break.

I've been fairly active most of my life, but have never been near the condition I'm in now. The last time I ran continuously for 3.1 miles was when I was 12 or 13, and I think I only ever did it once without having to walk large portions of it.

So, as much as it sucks to feel heavy and slow, I occasionally have to remember how far I've come and how quickly I'm progressing.

Here is my 5k route.

1 comment:

  1. Not bad for a thin guy either...you'll get to your goals, no doubt.

    And running a 5k no matter what is a great accomplishment...only gets better from here. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete