Usually when I visit my grandparents I just give in to eating unhealthy, and try to manage portion sizes. They only know one way to cook and that is to fry as much as you can. Anything you can't fry can be soaked in butter or sugar. And nothing should be eaten without a biscuit. Actually, by southern standards, my grandparents are reasonably healthy as they don't add gravy to every meal.
By my significant weight loss, combined with my grandma watching a lot of The Biggest Loser and my grandpa being told to stop eating fried foods, I was able to talk her into baking catfish. The funny part was that catfish has been a large part of their diets their entire life, with it being a daily food for the last 30+ years (when they moved to a lake-front property and kept their deep freezer full of catfish at all times), but in all that time, my grandma had never baked it. She had never tried preparing it in any other way than fried in a cornmeal batter. Considering how good it is like that, I guess I don't blame her.
But I couldn't stop her from serving french fries, but she did bake them as well. And I'm not sure what is in her coleslaw, but she also insisted that there was "nothing bad in there".
My plan was to eat somewhat large meals, because it is hard not to without upsetting my grandma, but then keep myself busy so I only eat 2 main meals a day. I only spent 1 day there, but I did so much I felt like I'd been there for a week. I replaced some missing boards off of the dock, cut dead limbs of of a large tree and trimmed the trees/bushes along the 100 yard driveway (which required a ladder for the trees). I probably ended up doing 6 hours of manual labor. I also caught 3 fish, a turtle (which I was able to get off the hook unharmed) and a 4 foot piece of metal chain. The biggest fish I caught by accident, throwing in the net to catch bait fish and I hauled up a 3 or 4 lbs catfish. I would leave my hooks in the water and then run around doing other things and come back to check on it.
I also saw my first water moccasin. I was at the end of the dock and saw it moving in the water closer to land. I walked down the dock to get a closer look, but lost sight of it while walking. I was standing looking out into the water when I looked down and found the snake had swam right up to the rocks below me and was looking right at me about 3 feet away. He then ducked back into the water and I didn't see him again. It gave me plenty of reason to never go swimming in their lake again.
After the meeting the next day, I had about 4 hours until my flight. I had cancelled my 24 Hour Fitness membership, but they make you pay a first and last month when you join, so when you call to cancel, you still have a month. It doesn't expire until May 5th, so I looked up the nearest location in Dallas and got a good workout in. I did 15 minutes on the eliptical, then a 3 mile run on the treadmill at about 5 mph (I fluctuated between 4.8 and 5 for most of it, then did a couple minutes of 6 mph). I wanted to go longer, but I didn't want to push my luck with my flight time. It was good I left when I did, because I hit heavy traffic and got to the gate with only 15 minutes until they started boarding.
Anyway, with all that going on, I still managed to lose weight. I think there is still some extra sodium and other junk in my system, so I'm thinking I'll be below 260 before the end of the week.
Here is the turtle I caught.

No comments:
Post a Comment