Monday, October 29, 2018

223 - running is going well though

My weight just doesn't want to budge.  I've gone on and off the calorie counting wagon, but even when I'm off, still eating pretty well.  So I'm not sure what's up with my weight.  My clothes are fitting better.  I've decided to just keep focusing on the running and give it a couple months.  I feel like the weight will have to start to come down, since I'm now doing pretty long runs at least once a week, and a couple shorter runs mid-week.

It's been raining all week (and probably will continue to rain for the next few months) up here in Oregon.  I've done some runs in the rain, but I tried my first long-ish run on a treadmill ever.  I don't think I've ever done more than a mile or two on a treadmill, but I did an hour.  I didn't even note the exact "mileage" at the end, because it seems like treadmill mileage isn't real.  I was just going for an hour and keeping my heart rate above 150.  
I've always thought of treadmills as easier, but after this long run, I realize they are just different.  Maybe a high-end treadmill would be another story, but I'd say I got a better workout in this 60 minute run than I would running outside, because it forced me to keep up the pace.  It's also much harder to keep going when you can just stop at any time.  When I run outside, I always run away from my house, so that about the time I'm wishing the run was over, I have no choice but to keep running to get home.  
Only thing I really don't like about the treadmill is the little bit of slipping and shifting when my foot lands.  As a bigger guy, I've always felt that, a little tug on the motor and the belt sliding.  It's just for a fraction of a second, but I felt myself using extra effort to stabilize as I ran.  Good news is that my knees and ankles felt a bit better than usual after.  

No comments:

Post a Comment