Thursday, March 6, 2014

203 - dropping fruit/fructose/sugars

I've been holding between 205 and 207 for a while now and not feeling as good as I was in January.  I realized one of the main differences is that I was limiting fruit when I started Paleo, but when I got sick, I stayed with Paleo but starting eating a lot more fruit.  I've noticed for many years that I don't do well with a lot of fruit in my diet, but I still crave it more than just about any other food.

So I was already thinking about what I needed to do to get my diet back on track.  I then happened to come across an article by Ben Greenfield on How to Fix Your Gut:
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/how-to-fix-your-gut/

I knew that fruit sugar probably had a sugar spike effect on me, which kick starts a high & low cycle that then leads to more craving.  But I had never heard of people having fructose/FODMAP sensitivity.  I had heard of FODMAPs before, but it sounded complicated and I never researched it.

So, I decided to drop fruit completely and am trying to limit all other sugars and foods on the FODMAP list.  After just 24 hours of doing this, I was suddenly down 4 lbs and noticed significant improvement in my digestion (less gas, if you must know). 

So I'm going to keep this up for a few days, then introduce individual low-FODMAP fruits one at a time to see which ones I can eat without issue.  I'm still going to try to keep all fruit intake to a minimum, but I want to find a sustainable level for the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment