Monday, March 31, 2014

115 lbs front squat

I've always had trouble with squats, mostly due to form.  I can't keep my back straight/arched, so adding any weight just pulls on my lower back.  It has been very slowly improving, but is still something I'm trying to sort out.  I think yoga or some other combo of stretching/physical therapy might be needed.

But, by adjusting my squat technique a little, I found I was able to comfortably add weight for the first time in a while.  Basically I just push my hips back a little bit at the bottom of the squat, before I come up out of the squat.  I think this is what Mark Rippetoe teaches.  I found that if I start the drive up with my hips, then follow with my back, I have a much easier time.  When I try to lift everything evenly and keep my back/chest upright, I just can't generate any power. 

I feel fine lifting like that, so I'll probably keep it up but still try to improve flexibility in my hips and lower back to see if I can't do it the "right" way.

No comments:

Post a Comment