Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back on the road...

I'm in Miami (Weston at the moment). I've been on the road for 8 days, the first 4 days were in Miami Beach with Jenny. We ate and drank a lot, but didn't go crazy. We walked a lot, so hopefully we didn't set ourselves back (at least physically. Financially we set ourselves back a good $1,000).

After Jenny flew home on Sunday, I've been trying to run as much as possible. Monday I ran 2.5 miles in the morning and about that much at night (I noted my exact starting and stopping points in the morning, at night I ran intervals between lifeguard huts on the beach).

Last night I ran 4 miles straight (it may have been 3.8 miles, I'm using Google Maps to calculate). My knees are feeling it this morning, but it was great to push myself that far. That's probably the longest I've ever run in my life. When I was in boarding school, we would run up to 3 miles each morning, but I don't think I've ever done 4. After years of thinking I was too big to run, or that it would be to high-impact to be a practical exercise for me, I'm excited to be actually running.

It's a funny activity, because I feel liking giving up about 5 seconds in, and still feel that way a couple miles later. But there isn't any one moment that is so difficult that I can't push through it. So I just keep pressing forward.

My plan is to keep pushing myself to see how far I can go. I would love to run a marathon or compete in a triathlon.

After our canoe adventure in the Everglades, I would like to get into kayaking. I'm going to check out places in the LA area that rent them and see if it's something I could do regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment